Yesterday I had the pleasure of meeting Deborah Dolce, Senior Vice President, Director of Brand & Business Development at TJX Europe, for those of you not in the know TJX is the company that owns the well known high street brand TK Maxx. It was a really valuable mentoring session from a truely inspirational lady. I learnt many things from our session however, the main theme that I took away was the importance of confidence in being a great leader.
A good leader has the confidence to:
- show vulnerability
- stand by ones convictions
- say when they are wrong
- make a few sacrifices along the way when needed
- take a risk and trust your instinct
- be honest when someone isn’t performing properly
- not need to try to make your team like you (it is more important they respect you professionally)
- ask for help from your network
- make mistakes. It means that you are probably doing your job properly
I have to say from the leaders I have been fortunate to meet I am inclined to agree that this must be one of the key characteristics of a truely inspiring leader, and I have to say Deborah Dolce was one such leader and a fantastic mentor.